Wednesday, December 30, 2009

VaKay2N.O.

In keeping with the best of 2009 category, here are two of my favorite pictures of friends who came to visit me this last year (NOTE: anyone reading this is welcome to come test my hospitality with a visit to New Orleans in 2010. All I ask is that you let me snap your picture when the moment is right)The best part of having peeps come thru is their desire to go out and see as much as possible. Sometimes that makes me a tour guide and sometimes that means I just tag along and try to keep up. The Other Tempest herself blew thru from Chi Town for mardi gras this year and showed me around Mid City long before I ever thought to settle down there. Here she is going under an end-to-end by GAMBLE and the bridges that divide the two parts of City Park. Beyond this lies the feral overgrown side of the park, much more wild than the side where the guests of VooDooFest revel. Next we have Sam, a man of most prodigious talents. By good fortune alone I ran into my friend again this year when he saw called me out along a busy street corner in Chelsea (he had recognized the YeeHaw label on the back of my shirt, giving me away as a 10ACN amongst NewYorkers.) Before my trip was over I was able to drop in on Sam at his apartment in the County of Kings where he revealed to me three rare zines of utmost mystery and choice typography (published in New Orleans in fact). Sam recently came down to Louisiana (right before I myself left) and made a quick and prolific investigation of some of the best spots around town. (The locale here is Gentilly) That's a camera bag slung over his shoulder because he likes photographing walls as well. (Although Sam seems to prefer when the paint is peeling off of them) That's not to say he doesn't have an eye for good works and the Good Word that is graff. I like his opinion so I asked him what he thought of this guy right before we left. He surprised me with a shrug and said: "Eh..I like it just so-so." Oh? The camera went SNAP, the guy's name is TASK.

1 comment:

herself said...

no hands, bitches! thatnks for posting this! what alovely picture pof herself that i've never seen. have you moved back to n.o.?