Monday, April 21, 2008

Conglomerate of News Corporations = Bad News


All said and done, its really a rather bad time to be starting up a new newspaper. But this article about CBS borrowing reporting from CNN has me convinced about the need for more and disparate sources to report on more and disparate news stories. Its scary enough
that last year Rupert Murdoch bought the Wall Street Journal for 5 billion dollars but news sources have been combing for years now. The Gannett Co. owns and publishes USA Today as well over 90 other newspapers, including my hometown paper, the Tennessean, both of which are terrible reading.

So what am I getting at here? Whats to be done? I'm not really sure other than I need to read more.

Buddha put it well when he said this:

"Believe nothing,
no matter where you read it
or who has said it,
not even if I have said it,
unless it agrees with your own reason
and your common sense."

CBS and CNN collaborating does not agree with my common sense.

-Bud R.


2 comments:

Evan said...

Murdoch is now also pursuing ownership of Newsweek, a magazine with a huge readership that would extend the power of his grip which already has a hold on howevermanyother news sources. These things used to be called unions and were busted. One man picking the top people at main outlets for information across the country? Doesn't sound right.

eh

Evan said...

and by union I meant monopoly. Not a fun game.