Friday, April 4, 2008

INTRO from the print copy

Better Reading on Campus

Here it is: the inaugural issue of the Paper Paper. With this publication we hope to take advantage of well written material being produced on campus each and everyday by reprinting it here in this magazine. Essays, papers, prints, and poems all deserve more exposure. So if you feel passionate about the work that you’ve done, we can help you share it with a broader audience.

In this first issue, we reprint three inspiring speeches given at Tulane in the past year. I took these notes and illustrations as I sat listening to each speaker, so that’s why they are composed the way they are - quickly and crudely. To supplement them, I’ve also included an article written by Nick Marinello (a great writer for ‘The Tulanian’) and the transcript of Obama’s speech from the Times Picayune. Unfortunately, KRS1’s righteous and radical talk has no extra commentary to go along with it. But there were four other pages of notes from that speech that I haven’t included here. You can check them out along with other unpublished material online at:

PAPRPAPR.BLOGSPOT.COM

Take note that this book in your hand is an original copy, one of 50. So when you’re done reading it, share it with your friend and then tell her to pass it on to the next person. I’m putting my faith into self-circulation here and the power of word of mouth to increase exposure.

But truly I’m just happy I’ve managed to get this far with you reading this here right now.

Enjoy,

Robert B. Ries
RRIES@TULANE.EDU
(All submissions welcome and wanted. Tell me what you think)

No comments: