Friday, May 2, 2008

#2!!!?! Second Guesses


The title of the second Paper Paper comes from my new favorite activity.

Ever since KRS1 spoke I've been looking at a lot of things in my life differently. This has lead to a lot of confusion and self-doubt.

When I find myself skipping classes to go cut and paste pages for this dinky magazine and staying up late in the basement of the LBC eating Rat food at two in the morning, dizzy from paint fumes, it makes me wonder: "What am I really doing at college?. . . .Aren't all these other people so much more in control than I am?. . .Should I be on track with my own five-year plans and switch to a major that leads to well-known career?. . .WTF Bud?!??"

Luckily I've got a lot of cool friends and an understanding family. You have made all this possible for me. If you're reading this now it means you got to read one of the two issues of the paper-paper and that's what makes it worthwhile. When you guys come up and tell me you dig the zine and we rock a thoughtful conversation for however many minutes, that's when I'm filled back up with hope and the realization that 'Yes! Life doens't suck after all. Tulane is filled with real people of substance!'

Were it not for these moments, 3 speeches may have been the first and last PaperPaper publication. Because of those conversations, though, I'm more inclined to wake up each morning and start a new print project.

Plus, now that I know you're excited to read what I've made, I'm also more excited to find you out the moment I have it ready and to give you a copy. So if you haven't gotten the new issue and have not yet read the poems by C. Meinzen, Shakti, Roy de Vicio, Nathan Scott, and Evan Hanzcor, get at me. But do it soon because I've got a fresh (but small) stack of these in my bag and I see somebody I want to give one to everywhere I go.

No comments: