Thursday, May 29, 2008

stickers and links



Personally I take no shame in peeling stickers off the street. Certainly I don't steal everyone I see but those that I do take I have no qualms about. One of the ways I'm able to justify my reverse vandalism is by advertising them here so you can find out about them yourself. This is a sampling of some of the local New Orleans artists, organizations, and radio stations. Check 'em out:

SECTION 8- another local zine/website that was one of the inspirations for the PaprPapr

NOLA Rising- Rex Dingler's campaign to cheer up New Orleans with some cheesy slogans and spit in Fred Radtke's eye at the same time. More power to you Rex.

WWOZ 90.7 FM- "New Orleans jazz and heritage station." The best radio station on air in town and everywhere else. They consistently play great old timey blues, jazz, country, and whatever other music you'd never think to listen to. One time I tuned in driving down Claiborne with my mom and they just happened to be playing a song called "Nashville Blues." I've trusted those DJs ever since.

WTUL 91.5 FM
- Tulane's college station just a hop, skip, and a turn away from WWOZ. This is another station I turn to with confidence. Whenever I get tired of the hits from the 1930s on 90.7 I just turn to 91.5 and see what my friends there have picked out. Yesterday I meant to call in and praise the DJ who put on "Stereo" by Pavement. That made my day.