Friday, May 8, 2009

Mysteries Revealed!

The other day I got a call from my friend Sam Pasquesi who told me he had gotten a call from his girlfriend Jean. Jean told him to check out this cool website, this very one I'm writing for right now. Sam did and said "Cool there's my picture, standing behind Mihir at the art gallery in December."

No surprise really. Sam has always been a strong supporter of my creative endeavors. He is a writer himself and a sometimes stenciller to boot.

In fact it was he who helped me publish the first issue of the Paper*PapeR. A month and a year ago I was over at his place spraying the cover stencil on the first 50 issues while he sprayed the graphic on the back cover. (We did this in this kitchen for some reason and when Thom Bone came home he was greeted by the noxious smell of spray paint throughout his apratment. When he found us he said something like "Guys WTF??? You couldn't have done this outside?" But we couldn't have: there was a slight drizzle outside I think.)

And it was also Sam who suggested I set up a blog to go along with the zine when I first told him about the whole publishing idea. In fact, he was the one who set up this account on the Blogspot and even wrote the first entry. It was a good one about KRS-1 and the use of an uzi as a fashion accessory. Unfortunately for everyone involved, I accidentally deleted this article the first time I logged in and tried to post something myself. I'm a moron. My apologies to Sam once again; hopefully he can be persuaded to generate some more writing for this site in the future (Evan Hanzcor too for that matter...)

But I digress. The picture was not what Jean had called Sam to tell him about. She had called him to tell him about how weird it was that I had found the first draft of the mix CD she had made for him. It is Sam's name written in her hand on that mix that I had wondered about. Apparently she finished making it and then decided to revise the track listing to achieve a more musical mix perfection. She must have felt a little bit of pressure to get it just right since Sam is a renaissance-man musician afterall (see: the New Sunday Toast).

So that's the story of who the mysterious Sam on the mix is: My friend Sam who created this blog. How's that for a full circle?



PS:More to come later about issue # 3 of the PapelPapel

No comments: